Victim Assistance Program for People who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Chicago Hearing Society provides the Chicago area’s first and only victim assistance program tailored to meet the needs of people who are deaf or hard of hearing.  We serve people in Cook County and the collar counties. You are not alone.  We can help.

What should I do if I am in immediate danger?
If you need the police or emergency medical care, call 911 Voice/TTY.
Chicago Hearing Society serves victims of any type of crime.
·      Rape
·      Sexual Abuse
·      Mugging
·      Assault
·      Robbery
·      Break-in
·      Child abuse
·      Hate crime
·      Any other crime
If you or someone you know is deaf or hard of hearing and has been the victim of a crime Chicago Hearing Society can help!
How do I get services from Chicago Hearing Society?
Schedule an appointment by calling:
773.904.0104 Videophone
773.248.9121 ext. 300 Voice
773.248.9174    TTY
If you cannot make an appointment, you are welcome to walk in.  Our office is located at:
2001 N. Clybourn Ave. 2nd floor
Chicago, IL 60614

Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM.

Is there a cost for the services?
No, our Victim Assistance services are free of charge and completely confidential.
Services provided by the CHS Victim Assistance program
·      Counseling to help you cope with your situation
·      Assistance in reporting the crime to the police
·      Advocacy to ensure your rights are protected
·      Support in working with the police and court system
·      Assistance in applying for victim compensation


What is special about the Victim Assistance Program at Chicago Hearing Society?
The Victim Assistance Advocate is fluent in American Sign Language.  Chicago Hearing Society has more than 95 years of experience in serving people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
What if the crime happened a while ago?  Can I still get help?
Chicago Hearing Society can help you no matter when the crime occurred.
What about family members of the victim?  Can they get help?
Yes, we will also provide assistance and referrals for victims’ family members or significant others, whether or not they are deaf or hard of hearing.
What if I need additional services?
The Victim Assistance Advocate is knowledgeable about other services available in the community.  We will find a service provider that is right for you.  AND we will be sure that you receive sign language interpreting or captioning or any other assistance you may need for effective communication.