Chicago Hearing Society provides the Chicago area’s first and only domestic violence program designed specifically for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. You are not alone. We can help.
What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence is any hurtful behavior which is done by someone close to us. It happens over and over again. Domestic violence is used by the abuser to overpower and control another person.
There are many different people who could be abusers:
· Family members
· Older children
There are many types of abuse:
· Fear for your life or safety
· Physical abuse: being hit, punched, shaken, locked up
· Emotional abuse: being criticized, being threatened, being made to feel worthless
· Sexual abuse: forced touching and kissing, forced to have sex
· Isolation: not being allowed to see family or friends or to work outside the home
· Attacks against property or pets
What should I do if I am in immediate danger?
If you need the police or emergency medical care, call 911 V/TTY.
For 24-hour information and referral, call the State of Illinois Domestic Violence help Line at 877-863-6338 (Voice) or 877-863-6339 TTY.
Chicago Hearing Society Domestic Violence services:
· Safety from abuse by assisting you to find shelter
· Crisis intervention to help you in emergency situations
· Counseling to help you and your family cope with your situation
· Assistance in reporting the crime to the police
· Advocacy to ensure your rights are protected
· Support in working with the police and court system
· Assistance in applying for victim compensation
What is special about the Domestic Violence Program at Chicago Hearing Society?
The Domestic Violence Counselor is fluent in American Sign Language. Chicago Hearing Society has 95 years of experience in serving people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
What if I need additional services?
The Domestic Violence Counselor is knowledgeable about other services available in the community. We will find a service provider that is right for you. AND we will be sure that you receive sign language interpreting or captioning or any other assistance you may need for effective communication.
How do I get services from Chicago Hearing Society?
Schedule an appointment by calling:
773.248.9121 ext. 300 Voice
If you cannot make an appointment, you are welcome to walk in. Our office is located at:
2001 N. Clybourn Ave. 2nd floor
Chicago, IL 60614
Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM.
Is there a cost for the services?
No, our Domestic Violence services are free of charge and completely confidential.