Certified volunteers work with individuals to prepare and file taxes electronically through e-file. Volunteer interpreters work with tax preparers if they are not fluent in American Sign Language. Our volunteer tax preparers have taken and passed a course required by the IRS. Chicago Hearing Society has both basic and intermediate certified level volunteers. If your tax paperwork is beyond our certification level, you will be referred to another tax site for assistance in completing your taxes.
Individuals qualifying for refunds will receive refunds within two weeks. Chicago Hearing Society DOES NOT take a portion of your refund. Individuals will also receive tax counseling, including what to do if you owe tax money this year, and how to change your withholding amount to avoid owing a tax penalty next year. We have a number of procedures in effect to reduce the number of errors in preparing taxes, including electronic filing and quality review checks, in which your taxes are double checked before you leave our office.
Our tax assistance does not end after you complete your taxes. Chicago Hearing Society is available to discuss any problems with your tax return that occur after tax season is over.
Items you MUST bring to your tax appointment – we cannot prepare your taxes if you do not bring the following:
- State ID or driver’s license
- Social Security card or a letter from Social Security with your name and SS number (copies are acceptable.)
- Social Security cards for all children you will claim as dependents
- W-2 forms from ALL jobs worked in 2012.
Also important to bring to the tax appointment:
- Copy of your completed tax forms from 2011
- Bank information or cancelled check or account number and routing number for direct deposit of your refund
- SSA-1099 forms
- INT-1099 forms or ANY papers that say “1099” at the top
- 2012 alimony payments or receipts
- Copy of the tax bill with the Property Index Number (PIN) on it if you owned a house or condo in 2012 and paid real estate taxes.
- Any papers you received in the mail that say “Important Tax Information” on the envelope
Other important information:
- Everyone who wants their taxes prepared at CHS must be present during the appointment. We will not complete tax forms for anyone who is not at CHS for their appointment. If filing jointly, both husband and wife must be present. We will not file separate tax papers for adult children unless they are present for the appointment.
- We do not prepare Schedule E (rental income) forms.
- We prepare some limited Schedule C (self-employed or independent contractor) forms. We do not have the time to prepare complicated tax forms. If you are unsure, please contact Kim Eischen.